New London, CT – “These two houses (built in 1678 and 1756) are open to the Antiquarian & Landmarks Society, and reflect the colonial life of a farming/seafaring family. In the early 1800’s the family became abolitionists and provided aid to escaped slaves using the Underground Railroad.
Once waterfront property, these surroundings have changed dramatically. However, the area was an integrated neighborhood as early as the 1680’s. Since the 1840’s African Americans have owned homes here, some of which are still standing on Hempstead
The above is a quote from a plaque outside the Hempsted Houses.