.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

New England Photos

A photo essay of life,sights and history in New England. Including some of the lesser known things and some of the down-right obscure. A new photo added every one to two days. Click on the photos to see a larger picture. There are more pictures in the archive.

Google

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Colt Dome and the Rampant Colt

Hartford, CT - If you have driven through Hartford, CT on I-91 then you have seen the Colt dome. I have been trying to find out how to photograph the dome for a few years. The perfect place would be right on the highway but for safety reasons, that was not going to happen. So I went in back of the building and got these photos, not as good as the highway but much safer.


There are a few stories on how the dome came to being, one story is that it was shipped to Samuel Colt from a Turkish Sultan who was grateful for guns shipped to him during the Crimean War. Another was he was inspired by Byzantine churches he saw in Russia.*


On top of the dome is the Rampant Colt. The Rampant Colt is the symbol of Colt Firearms. The "Rampant Colt" is an ancient symbol of a Stallion carring a broken spear continuing the battle after his rider has fallen.* The Colt and Dome have been replaced over the years.


The front of the Colt Building.

* Info from New York Times

Labels: ,

The Colt Dome and the Rampant Colt

3 Comments:

At 5:34 AM, Blogger DollZandThingZ said...

Fantastic photos!

When I was very young, I thought the dome was the most exotic thing I had ever seen. It is still a beloved icon for me and I have never seen such a good photo!

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool indeed

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous andrea said...

I have been looking for the perfect picture of the dome to frame and this is it!!

How can I purchase an 8x10 ???

Hoislfamily@comcast.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Blogroll Me!