.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

New England Photos

A photo essay of life,sights and history in New England. Including some of the lesser known things and some of the down-right obscure. A new photo added every one to two days. Click on the photos to see a larger picture. There are more pictures in the archive.

Google

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Whoopie Pies


West Kingston, RI - I ran across this Whoopie Pie stand and of course I had to check it out. These treats were being sold in someone's driveway; stored in a cooler with a cashbox to put your money in on the honor system.


The day I went the flavors de jour were Chocolate and Pumpkin. I've had chocolate before so I went with the pumpkin. It was a good selection, I'm sure the chocolate was just as good. Now if you don't know what a Whoopie Pie is, sorry no photo, I pigged it down too fast, it is two round pieces of cake, each like a mound with a creamy filling between. To tell you the truth, I don't exactly know what was the filling in these. It tasted somewhere between a cream and frosting, but not too sweet. Depending on the recipe, I think you can put anything from whipped cream, to cream cheese, to frosting, to mashmallow cream.

So if you are in West Kingston stop in and try one; I don't know the exact road but it is just around the corner from Kenyon's Grist Mill (a future post).

Labels: , , ,

Whoopie Pies

1 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger Larry Fisher said...

When I moved back to New England one of the first stops I made with my girlfriend (who had never savored the wonders of a real whoopie pie) was at this Whoopie Pie Stand. When I saw the sign I yelled out "Whoopie Pies!" and quickly found a place to make a U-Turn and head back in pursuit of one of my most favorite treats. I can honestly say, the pumpkin whoopie pie was the best I ever ate. I love chocolate but that whoopie pie was like an official welcome to Rhode Island. Needless to say the girlfriend is now a fan.

I don't know who runs that stand but you're the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Blogroll Me!