.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

New England Photos

A photo essay of life,sights and history in New England. Including some of the lesser known things and some of the down-right obscure. A new photo added every one to two days. Click on the photos to see a larger picture. There are more pictures in the archive.

Google

Thursday, December 07, 2006

WHITE HORSE TAVERN - NEWPORT RI


Newport, RI - This is said to be the oldest tavern in America. William Mayes Sr. obtained a tavern license in 1687 and opened this tavern that was once a private home. Mayes was the father of a famous pirate who succeeded his father as innkeeper. The tavern was a meeting place for the Colony's General Assembly, Criminal Court, and City Council. Those members dined there and charged their meals to the public treasury.

Info: White Horse Tavern

Labels: , ,

WHITE HORSE TAVERN - NEWPORT RI

5 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of colonial American history and love the colonial section of Newport. I stop for a meal at the White Horse Tavern nearly every time I am in Newport.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Bill said...

We checked out the prices and I am much too "Thrifty" to pay that. OK, cheap.

If you like Colonial History you have come to the right place. As you can see I have a lot of it on my site. I usually take the photo and then research it. I've found out a lot that I didn't know. Also, in the last 25 years I have restored 5 18th century homes. I now live in a 1770 Saltbox that was a law office at one time.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Marion said...

Bill, I love those old buildings you showcase on your site and the well-researched stories behind them.

Lol...I love it that you're "thrifty"! Ummm...we never use the word "cheap" when we decide not to eat somewhere expensive...we tell ourselves that we could probably cook the same thing much better anyway, at home.

But we really are just plain old ordinary "cheap". LOL

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually work here!!! Food is great especially during dinner! Beef welly on the menu!

 
At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post. I’ve been thinking about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, I’ll probably keep it short and sweet and link to this instead if thats cool. Thanks. themarkethousetavern.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Blogroll Me!