.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

New England Photos

A photo essay of life,sights and history in New England. Including some of the lesser known things and some of the down-right obscure. A new photo added every one to two days. Click on the photos to see a larger picture. There are more pictures in the archive.

Google

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Swift River Candle Co and Gate 8 Bait Shop

Pelham, MA - The "boys" and I took another ride today and ended up going through Pelham MA. I saw a sign that said Swift River Candle company and decided to check it out.


I walked in and was met by Bill Martell the owner who runs this business with his wife Kathy. He explained that he started with just the bait shop but fishing started to slow down so he started making candles. He told me he enjoyed making the candles which he does in an adjacent building. He told me most of his business was before Christmas and slacks off after the holidays. During the fishing season he is open seven days a week so you can pick up your bait; in the winter he stops selling bait. He told me that if you continue down Packardville Road, you go through a gate and come to a boat launch in Quabbin Reservoir, hence Gate 8.



Some of his stock of candles.



Even more candles.

If you are driving to Pelham, the shop is just past the Belchertown, MA line. This time of year it is open on weekends only. So, for all your candle or bait needs, stop in. If it is not summer you might want to call ahead.

The location is: 200 Packardville Road, Pelham, MA
Telephone: 413-323-7117 or 413-323-9183

Labels: , ,

Swift River Candle Co and Gate 8 Bait Shop

1 Comments:

At 7:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy New Year, New England Bloggers!

Our 1-year anniversary is coming up Jan 27. To mark the occasion I am going to put up a Mr. Linky on the evening of Mon, Jan 25. If you'd like to write a post about living in NE, your favorite places to visit, funny stories and stereotypes, recipes, photos of our gorgeous landscape, anything, it would be great if you would link in. I'd also like a little idea of # of participants, if you could just send me a reply.
I apologize if you are getting this twice. Many people haven't given me emails so I have to leave it in the comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Blogroll Me!