.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

New England Photos

A photo essay of life,sights and history in New England. Including some of the lesser known things and some of the down-right obscure. A new photo added every one to two days. Click on the photos to see a larger picture. There are more pictures in the archive.

Google

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Burlington Vermont Bikeway

Burlington, Vermont - When I went up to Vermont I brought my
bicycle. Now I must preface this by saying that I have not ridden a bicycle in ten years; I guess this is trial by fire. I decided to try riding on a paved bike trail and the Burlington Bikeway fit the bill nicely. It was almost all flat or very minor hills. I did find just a couple of narrow sections and a few road crossings downtown(I still have pedals with straps to hold your feet in) that I was a bit nervous on, but once I got my "bike legs" again they were not a problem.



The views of Lake Champlain from the bikeway were spectacular.



This is a bridge over the Winooski River as it feeds into Lake Champlain.



Another bridge, this one over a swampy area.



South of downtown Burlington is an area that has these marble blocks that are carved; this one is a mermaid. I am wondering if these are finished works or did the artist run into a problem? They seem to be almost finished but not quite.



North of Burlington is a park, sorry did not catch the name, at that park is the start of the trail to the causeway. This trail is not paved, it is made of packed gravel. I was a bit nervous here because the dirt trail went down a hill. Let me remind you again, this is the almost the first time I had been on a bike, on a dirt trail, with 20 year old, 25mm tires. I made it down the hill without a problem but took the paved road back up the hill, just in case.



View on the causeway. At this point I was about six miles from where I started and was hoping that the air would stay in those OLD tubes, especially riding on gravel. By the next day my tires were flat(the bike is now at the shop getting tuned up and getting new tires).



This is Local Motion, "Local Motion is a greater Burlington non-profit promoting bicycling, walking, running, in-line skating and the facilities that make such travel safe, easy, and fun!" Where you can rent a bicyle to take the trail. Here is a link to their website that explains what they do LOCAL MOTION




Another one of those sculptures on the trail. I will be posting more photos of sights along the trail shortly.

Labels: , ,

Burlington Vermont Bikeway

3 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Blogger A New England Life said...

What a great trail Bill, with beautiful views! My husband and I would love to ride on it. How long is the trail?

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Carol J. said...

Hi there. It must have been so wonderful bikeriding through the clean, fresh air with those gorgeous views right there. Much better than through a car window!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Bill said...

The paved portion is about 8 miles long and the gravel section is about 5. Click on the Local Motion link in the posting for more information. There also is a ride the city loop and a ferry at the end of the causeway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Blogroll Me!