.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

New England Photos

A photo essay of life,sights and history in New England. Including some of the lesser known things and some of the down-right obscure. A new photo added every one to two days. Click on the photos to see a larger picture. There are more pictures in the archive.

Google

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

FARMINGTON RIVER MAPLES - MAPLE SYRUP


Otis, MA - I stopped by this maple sugar house along Rt.8 to get some photos of maple syrup making. Note the vent on the roof which is on all sugarhouses, this is to allow the steam to escape.


This is what it looks like when you have maple syrup fog on your lens. There is a lot of water that has to be evaporated to make a gallon of syrup, I believe 64 gallons of sap make one gallon of syrup.


A small breeze came in enough for me to get this photo, plus wiping off my camera lens. I'm sorry I didn't get his name, I had to get out before my camera was all gummed up. I did find out that he sells his syrup in a store in Great Barrington and you can stop by the sugarhouse to pick some up directly.

Labels: ,

FARMINGTON RIVER MAPLES - MAPLE SYRUP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Blogroll Me!