.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

New England Photos

A photo essay of life,sights and history in New England. Including some of the lesser known things and some of the down-right obscure. A new photo added every one to two days. Click on the photos to see a larger picture. There are more pictures in the archive.

Google

Sunday, May 13, 2007

BECKETT QUARRY AND FOREST

Beckett, MA - This is the former Hudson-Chester Quarry which was active from the 1850's to the 1960's. Stone from this quarry was sent by train to near by Chester MA and Hudson, NY for polishing. This stone was used mostly for gravestones and monuments.

In 1999 a stone company wanted to purchase this quarry and resume the operation. A group from the town, not wanting the noise and activity bought the land and donated it to the land trust. It is now an an extensive day hiking area, free to all.

The next three photos are of the quarry. It is said that there is still a crane under the water. The area around the quarry still has much of the old equipment. I will be posting photos of those later in the week.

I almost didn't get these photos. I tried to find this quarry by hiking up the trail, I didn't pay close attention to how far it was. Well, I went a ways and then turned around. At the bottom I saw these four young women who had just come back from the quarry and told me it was not far and it was worth the hike. So I went back up and about two hundred feet past where I turned around was the quarry. They also told me about some other areas which I will be posting shortly.








This is a Guy Derrick high above the quarry. That dark spot above the derrick is a black fly on my lens. If you hike this time of year, bring your bug spray.

Labels: ,

BECKETT QUARRY AND FOREST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Blogroll Me!