.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

New England Photos

A photo essay of life,sights and history in New England. Including some of the lesser known things and some of the down-right obscure. A new photo added every one to two days. Click on the photos to see a larger picture. There are more pictures in the archive.

Google

Friday, January 19, 2007

ST JOHN’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH – PORTSMOUTH NH





Portsmouth, NH – I originally took photos of this church because I always thought it funny that the front stairs go immediately in the street. But, as I did some research about this church I found it fascinating how much history this church has. I found it odd that a church appears to be equipped with spoils or war.

Some interesting facts about the church and articles within:

The Steeple Bell: Is a prize of war taken at the Battle of Louisbourg in 1745. It was installed in the belfry of the Queens Chapel. It was damaged in the famous Christmas Eve fire of 1806 and was sent to Paul Revere in Boston to be repaired.

Vinegar Bible – This bible was published by John Baskett in Oxford, England in 1745. It is called the Vinegar Bible because on of the bible stories contains a misprint, Parable of the vinegar instead of “vineyard”. Only 12 of these bibles were published and this is one of the few remaining.

The Baptismal Font - The font was a prize of war captured from the French at Senegal by a regiment organized bu John Tufton Mason.

Brattle Organ – This organ is the oldest operative organ in the United States. It was imported from England in 1708.

There are 10 vaults along the road which hold the remains of prominent people from the Colonial era such as Royal Governor Wentworth Benning.

I never realized there was so much to know about this church; I hope to someday go inside and take a tour. You can go to there website and read about this church, this is also where I got this information.

Info: St John’s Episcopal Church

Labels: , , ,

ST JOHN’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH – PORTSMOUTH NH

2 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely God was on their side.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually went to this church as a child and sang in the choir, sitting in a loft that hang over the congregation. There's not a lot I remember about it because I was rather young, but I do remember an old man who always gave us candy (we called him "the Candy Man"), and I can still see the smile on his face as he handed it to us, against our parent's wishes! I also remember cough drops that my dad would give us to keep us quiet! It's really interesting to read about the history of a church I attended. At least I am old enough now to full appreciate the character the church really had. My family has always loved that church and now I can have a little deeper connection to it. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Blogroll Me!