.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

New England Photos

A photo essay of life,sights and history in New England. Including some of the lesser known things and some of the down-right obscure. A new photo added every one to two days. Click on the photos to see a larger picture. There are more pictures in the archive.

Google

Friday, February 17, 2006

MARK TWAIN HOUSE

 
Hartford, CT – As promised, here is Harriet Beecher Stowe’s neighbor, good old Samuel Clemens. His house is a 19 room mansion decorated by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Sam and his family lived here from 1874 – 1891. I’ve toured this house many years ago while I was in school, (just after he moved out LOL). A few things I remember were the very ornate billiard room and the telephone. If I remember correctly, he had the first telephone in Hartford. My question is, who did he call?

This is the back of the house but I think the right side is the front, its all good.

You can tour this house as well as the Harriet Beecher Stowe House.

Info: www.marktwainhouse.org Posted by Picasa

MARK TWAIN HOUSE

7 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger Dana said...

Beautiful pictures. I would like to visit Sam's house myself someday.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Peter Jacobs said...

Well, that is one extraordinary house. Would that be American Gothic?
...and beutifully photgraphed.

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like these victorian style homes. I've enjoyed your blog so much that I wanted to come back and make a correction but unfortunately the stain glass windows aren't there nor is the humor comment.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Anonymous - I think the stained glass windows you are talking about are posted April 8, 2005. Click on the April 2005 Archive Date.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Peter - From the Mark Twain website they call the house just Victorian. Also, here is a few sentences from the test.

Skilled craftsmen painstakingly replicated the original L. C. Tiffany and Associated Artists designs, making the house an icon of the American Aesthetic Movement.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a beautiful house! I love the ornate decorative look. Is that a patio on the top floor? Cool.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Thanks Philo,

I forgot all about that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Blogroll Me!