.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

New England Photos

A photo essay of life,sights and history in New England. Including some of the lesser known things and some of the down-right obscure. A new photo added every one to two days. Click on the photos to see a larger picture. There are more pictures in the archive.

Google

Monday, May 16, 2005

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN MILE STONE


Woodbury, CT - This is one of the mile stones put here by Benjamin Franklin. In 1763, Ben was Assistant Postmaster General of the United States. He had a devise on the wheel of his chaise (two wheeled cart drawn by one horse) that marked off miles. He went from Boston to New York marking off each mile; the distance was two hundred fifty four miles. At the mile mark a stake was put into the ground and then a crew would erect these Connecticut Sandstone markers with the distance marked on it. I couldn't figure out all the markings on this stone but it is located approximately 80 miles from New York City.

Info from: West Brookfield Historical Commission Website
 Posted by Hello

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN MILE STONE

2 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Rio said...

If my eyes do not fool me, I believe it reads XXV or 25. Hm. *wonders*

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Thank you Kines and Jameson for stopping by and helping me try to figure this out. When I took this photo I pulled over to the side of the road in a very precarious spot and didn't have time to take a good look. Next time I am in the area, I will have to take a better look. Unfortunately, sandstone doesn't last as long as granite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Blogroll Me!